Happy First Day of Spring!!
I hope it's been a good one.
Yesterday was quite an active one for Mama Blue. If this female didn't have an 'unusual' beak (it turns down at the end), I'd say it was not the same one as yesterday! Her behavior was so much different than the first day. She worked diligently, bringing pine straw in regular intervals, using the 'cupping' movements to keep the center of the nest open...she did everything 'by the book.'

I had always heard that bluebirds get their nesting material from the ground. In other years, I've seen them go into the trees. I followed Mama today and she DID go into a tree but it was a tulip tree. She was taking pine needles from a clump of them that were on a branch. When I enlarged the photo, it looks like there's an indentation in the middle like as if it's the beginning of a nest. I don't know what bird would put a nest in such an open location. If you know of any, please let me know. I will be keeping my eye on it.
I hope that the video is self-explanatory. A Carolina Wren went into the box to snoop around not realizing that the bluebirds were right outside the box. You'll see what happened when you view the video.
To view the video, you can click here
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00bPSdoTvgk
You can also go to mybluwings.blogspot.com to view the blog so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment